Skip to content
Author
PUBLISHED: | UPDATED:
Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

May 2 (Reuters) – Duke Energy, the largest U.S.

electric utility, said it notified regulators on Thursday that

it will drop plans to build two new nuclear reactors in North

Carolina due to slow growth in power demand.

Progress Energy, which Duke acquired last year, proposed

building two AP1000 reactors at the Harris nuclear plant site in

Wake County, North Carolina, and submitted an application in

2008 for a construction and operating license from the U.S.

Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC).

Duke officials are expected to discuss the Harris decision

Friday when Duke’s first-quarter earnings are reported.

Dhiaa Jamil, president of Duke Energy Nuclear, said Duke

has sufficient generation to serve customers in North and South

Carolina for many years even as the company retires older

coal-fired plants.

The company’s supply forecast indicates additional nuclear

generation won’t be needed at Harris for at least 15 years.

“The Harris site is well-suited for new nuclear generation

and has not been eliminated from our long-term consideration as

a site to expand our nuclear fleet,” Jamil said in a release.

The once-predicted revival of U.S. nuclear construction has

been tempered by lower natural gas prices, anemic growth in

electric demand and the absence of limits on emissions of carbon

dioxide.

In February, Duke said its Progress Energy Florida utility

would retire, rather than repair, the heavily damaged Crystal

River reactor in Florida.

Duke said it will continue to work to obtain NRC licenses

for two new reactors at the Levy site in Levy County, Florida,

and another two reactors at the W.S. Lee site in Gaffney, South

Carolina.

Since Jan. 1, 2011, Duke said it has spent nearly $334

million on the Lee nuclear proposal, according to a filing with

state regulators.

Four new reactors are currently under construction at two

sites in the southeastern United States: two at Scana Corp’s

Summer nuclear station in South Carolina and two at

Southern Co’s Vogtle station in Georgia.

While a number of companies continue to pursue NRC approval

to develop new reactors, none has committed to actually build

another new reactor.

Last year, the NRC said it would not issue licenses for new

reactors until it satisfies a federal court order related to

nuclear waste rules, a delay expected to last at least two

years.

A decision from the NRC on the Levy license application had

been expected this year while a timeline for the Lee application

was being revised, according to an NRC website.