Skip to content
Author
PUBLISHED: | UPDATED:
Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

By Piya Sinha-Roy

LOS ANGELES, May 31 (Reuters) – Will Smith may be one of

Hollywood’s most bankable action stars, but his new film, “After

Earth,” in which he stars with his 14-year-old son Jaden, has

opened to cold reviews from critics and faces stiff competition

in a busy box office weekend.

“After Earth” is a futuristic post-apocalyptic tale of a

father and his teenage son in which the young boy must embark on

a life-saving mission.

Sony Pictures Entertainment, a division of Sony Corp.

, spent about $130 million to produce the movie, making

it one of the studio’s biggest summer releases.

The story is centered on the father-son relationship and the

dynamic of a father passing the mantle to his son is mirrored

both on screen and off, as the younger Smith leads the action.

Will Smith, 44, who wrote the initial story and was the

executive producer of the film, said the project gave him

valuable time to spend with his son, with whom he first starred

in the 2006 family drama, “The Pursuit of Happyness.”

“Filmmaking and entertainment is our family business,” Smith

said at a recent news conference. “So, it really gave us an

opportunity for the last year to spend ten or twelve hours a day

together, every day. And for me it’s just the best way, for me

at least, to parent.”

Jaden Smith bears a strong resemblance to his famous father

and won over most critics as the lead in 2010’s reboot of “The

Karate Kid.” However, he has not been received as warmly for his

performance as ranger Kitai Raige in “After Earth.”

NEGATIVE REVIEWS

Variety’s Scott Foundas said both father and son failed to

meet expectations. “Senior Smith gives one of the least

substantive performances of his career, while the undeniably

charismatic Jaden toggles between … paralyzing fear and

simmering rage.”

Manohla Dargis wrote in the New York Times that the younger

Smith was “a pretty teenager with jumpy eyebrows whose character

remains an insufferable brat.”

Rolling Stone’s Peter Travers slammed the script as “an

unholy mess of platitudes and posturing.” He gave the film one

out of five stars, saying “It’s not a good sign when you sit

there thinking one thing – Make. It. Stop.”

“After Earth” scored just 32 out of 100 on Metacritic.com,

which compiles ratings based on critics’ reviews. Only 13

percent of critics recommended the movie in reviews collected on

the Rotten Tomatoes website.

This is despite the fact that the film was directed by M.

Night Shayamalan, who scored a huge hit with the 1999 suspense

drama “The Sixth Sense,” which grossed more than $672 million at

the worldwide box office. Shayamalan was less successful though

with 2006’s “Lady in the Water” and 2010’s “The Last Airbender.”

Box office forecasters predict “After Earth” will make $35-

$40 million in U.S. and Canadian ticket sales from Friday

through Sunday.

The film opened on Thursday and took in $1 million at U.S.

and Canadian theaters, behind Lions Gate Entertainment’s

comedy heist caper “Now You See Me,” which earned $1.5 million.

“After Earth” faces tough competition this weekend from

recent releases still drawing big business, such as car-chase

sequel “Fast & Furious 6,” superhero tale “Iron Man 3,” and

sci-fi film “Star Trek Into Darkness.”

“It’s not an enviable task opening up this weekend,” said

Phil Contrino, chief analyst with Boxoffice.com. International

sales will be critical, he said, since Will Smith remains a big

draw for overseas audiences.

Sony Pictures spokesman Steve Elzer said a weekend take of

about $30 million in the United States and Canada would be a

solid number for a movie that is not a branded sequel.

Sony’s other upcoming summer films include action thriller

“White House Down,” sci-fi adventure “Elysium,” and book

adaptation “The Moral Instruments: City of Bones.”