Skip to content
Author
PUBLISHED: | UPDATED:
Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

* Obama raised $181 million, set 2012 record

* Romney does not control large portion of money

* September saw release of ’47 percent’ video

* Monday kicks off big Romney donor gathering in New York

By Alina Selyukh and Alexander Cohen

WASHINGTON, Oct 15 (Reuters) – Republican presidential

challenger Mitt Romney and his allies raised $170.5 million in

September, the campaign said on Monday, falling just short of

the 2012 fundraising record set last month by Democratic rival

President Barack Obama.

Republicans began October with $191.2 million in cash on

hand – money ready to be spent on advertising, get-out-the-vote

efforts, staff, offices, rallies and other campaigning in the

weeks before the Nov. 6 election. Much of the haul, however, was

not likely to directly benefit Romney’s election bid.

Obama and the Democratic National Committee already have

reported raising $181 million in September, the best mark so far

in the most expensive presidential election campaign in U.S.

history. They did not disclose how much they had left in cash on

hand.

September was the second consecutive month in which the

Democrats out-raised Romney’s team after three months of the

Republicans leading the way in fundraising.

It was also one of the toughest months for Romney: his

position weakened in the polls first as a result of the new

focus shifting to the Democratic Party Convention and then to a

secretly filmed video that showed him calling 47 percent of

Americans who receive government funds “victims.”

Romney regained footing earlier this month when he delivered

a strong performance against Obama in the first presidential

debate on Oct. 3. Campaign officials said the debate kicked up

donations and helped the Republican candidate gain on the

incumbent in the polls just weeks ahead of Election Day.

“With less than one month left, we will continue the hard

work of raising the resources to ensure that Mitt Romney and

Paul Ryan can win in November and bring real change to the

American people,” said Spencer Zwick, Romney’s finance chairman.

Obama has since regained a slim lead in the tight race. The

Reuters/Ipsos daily tracking poll on Monday showed him at 47

percent compared with Romney’s 45 percent.

“This race is tied,” Obama said in an email to supporters

asking for last-minute donations on Monday. “What we do over the

next 22 days will determine not just the next four years, but

what this country looks like for decades to come.”

ROMNEY’S CASH THAT ISN’T HIS

Since Romney became the party nominee in April, he and the

RNC have fundraised together, pulling cash into their separate

funds as well as a joint account known as the “Romney Victory.”

Because the fund’s disclosures are released quarterly, much

of the Republican cash had been sitting under wraps until

Monday, when new filings showed that in the third quarter of the

year, the joint fund raised $235.2 million – beating the second

quarter haul of $140.3 million.

But most of that cash – at least $214.4 million – does not

belong to the Romney campaign: A donor can only give $35,800 to

benefit a candidate and the party and at most $5,000 of that can

go into the candidate’s coffers.

Anything given beyond that amount to the Romney Victory fund

is slated to benefit state Republican parties, the National

Republican Senatorial Committee and the National Republican

Congressional Committee.

Reuters calculations showed that of all the money brought

into the Romney Victory fund, only as much as $161.1 million

belongs to the Romney campaign, while at least $54.6 million is

booked for state parties and congressional committees.

Obama and the DNC also have a joint “Victory” fund but the

Obama campaign keeps the vast majority of its cash under its own

control – which affords it more flexibility in deciding how and

when to spend it.

DONORS AND FUNDRAISERS

Romney’s financial operation has relied heavily on large

checks written by wealthy supporters, in contrast to the Obama

campaign, which has been aggressively courting such donors as

well but relies mostly on smaller contributions.

The Romney campaign said it received more than 1 million

donations in September in checks of less than $250, which were

responsible for a total of $43.2 million.

Of all the cash received, 93 percent of all donations were

of $250 or less, the campaign said. That means some $127 million

was raised through less than 7 percent of the donations.

The Romney campaign continued to court large donors this

week as some of the most influential of them gathered at a

luxury hotel in Manhattan for a three-day “fall retreat” that

started Monday.

The gathering was expected to include “special guests”

including former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani, real estate

magnate and reality TV star Donald Trump, and Oklahoma oilman

and Continental Resources CEO Harold Hamm.

Others expected to attend include Charles Schwab Corp

CEO Charles Schwab and Jimmy John’s sandwich franchise

CEO Jimmy John Liautaud, according to an invitation posted by

the Sunlight Foundation, a nonpartisan group that seeks more

transparency in campaign finance.

Major fund-raisers and donors were scheduled to attend

election strategy meetings with top Romney campaign staff and

mingle with vice presidential candidate Paul Ryan.

Romney had originally planned to join in, but changed plans

on Monday to prepare for the second presidential debate against

Obama on Tuesday night at New York’s Hofstra University.

Obama’s campaign, which holds the all-time fundraising

record for its 2008 efforts, said it had held its last

fundraising event last week. In 2008, Obama’s campaign and the

DNC together brought in $193 million in September and came close

to raising $1 billion overall.