Skip to content
Author
PUBLISHED: | UPDATED:
Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

By Dan Levine

SAN FRANCISCO, June 12 (Reuters) – Apple Inc has

spent nearly three years fighting its rivals in a global

smartphone patent war. Now, setbacks in two key U.S. court cases

are laying bare why a drawn-out battle could be bad news for the

iPhone maker.

Last Thursday, Judge Richard Posner in Chicago federal court

canceled Apple’s long-awaited trial against Google Inc’s

Motorola Mobility division, which makes devices powered

by the Internet search company’s Android mobile operating

system. The trial had been set to start this week.

Then in an order late on Monday, U.S. District Judge Lucy

Koh in San Jose, California, effectively dashed Apple’s hopes of

stopping the launch of Samsung Electronics Co Ltd’s

new Galaxy S III smartphone, which also runs on Android. Koh had

said Apple’s push to get a court order blocking the June 21

launch would overload her calendar, given Apple’s high-stakes

trial over other Samsung devices set for July that she is

overseeing.

The latest decisions don’t doom Apple’s courtroom efforts –

the company can appeal Posner’s ruling, while Koh’s directive

had nothing to do with the merits of the Samsung case about to

go to trial, or the legal arguments for an injunction on the new

Samsung smartphone. But delays in moving its cases through the

courts is a blow to Apple’s efforts to get quick and favorable

rulings that it hopes would give it an edge in the marketplace

for mobile devices.

Apple has waged the international patent war since 2010,

part of its attempt to limit growth of Android, which last year

established its dominance as the world’s best-selling mobile

operating platform. Apple’s opponents, meanwhile, say the iPhone

maker is trying to use patents to avoid competing solely in the

market.

A clear victory in one of the U.S. legal cases could

strengthen Apple’s hand in negotiating cross-licensing deals

outside court, where companies agree to let each other use their

patented technologies.

“The stalemate is much more of a victory for the accused

infringers than it is for Apple,” said Brian Love, a professor

at Stanford Law School who studies patent litigation.

Apple spokeswoman Kristin Huguet reiterated a previous

statement, saying the blatant copying of its devices was wrong.

Google spokesman Jim Prosser said the rise of patent litigation

is due to too many vague software patents, and that Google’s

success makes it an attractive target. A Samsung representative

declined to comment.

Apple is not the only smartphone combatant that has faced

setbacks in litigation over its technology. Last month, Oracle

Corp came up empty in a trial against Google, a case

where Oracle’s damages estimates ranged up to $6 billion.

U.S. District Judge William Alsup in San Francisco rejected

Oracle’s copyright claims on parts of the Java programming

language. The enterprise software company said it would appeal.

LAND GRAB

Apple is in a pitched battle with its competitors over who

can develop the most innovative smartphone features. In an

attempt to help keep Android at bay, the company announced new

features for its voice-activated Siri software at its annual

developer’s conference on Monday.

The company’s first lawsuit in its global patent fight was

against smaller competitor HTC Corp in a Delaware

federal court in March 2010. Apple also filed an action against

HTC before a U.S. trade panel, which has forced delays in sales

of some HTC smartphones.

Michael Yoshikami, chief executive of Destination Wealth

Management, says HTC stock has suffered due to adverse court

rulings. But for a larger player like Apple, the patent battle

is important but not for its share price. Rather, it is used for

a short-term edge in the land grab for smartphone and tablet

sales, said Yoshikami, whose fund holds Apple shares.

In a move that was widely seen as a preemptive strike

against an imminent Apple lawsuit, Motorola sued Apple in

October 2010 in Chicago, and Apple filed its own claims against

Motorola the same month. That case landed before Posner, who

issued a series of pre-trial rulings that eliminated nearly all

of Motorola’s patent claims against Apple from the prospective

trial, while maintaining more of Apple’s claims against

Motorola.

That meant Apple had more to gain in the trial, which was

set to start on Monday. But in an order last week, Posner

scrapped the trial after finding that neither side could prove

damages. Apple had sought an injunction barring the sale of

Motorola products, but Posner said that would be “contrary to

the public interest.”

Nick Rodelli, a lawyer and adviser to institutional

investors for CFRA Research in Maryland, rated Posner’s decision

an “incremental negative” for Apple. However, Rodelli doesn’t

think it will stand up on appeal, saying in part that Posner

improperly denied Apple a hearing on its right to an injunction.

Yet Stanford’s Professor Love said that Posner’s ruling, and

the delay it causes in Apple getting the case to trial even if

it wins an appeal, will reduce Apple’s leverage during any

potential licensing talks.

In the Samsung lawsuit, filed last year in California, the

iPhone maker says Samsung “slavishly” copied the iPhone and

iPad. Samsung denies the claims and countersued.

The trial centers around Apple’s claims against multiple

Samsung phones, as well as a Galaxy tablet. But those products

are not the most pressing worry for Apple at the moment:

Samsung’s Galaxy S III phone is set to launch in the U.S. on

June 21, and Apple fears blockbuster sales.

But courts don’t move as quickly as new technology. At a

court hearing last week, Apple attorney Josh Krevitt complained

that Samsung is able to release new phones before the legal

system has time to address their patent violations.

“Samsung is always one step ahead, launching another product

and another product,” Krevitt said.

Koh last week said Apple could ask for a temporary

restraining order against the Galaxy S III phone, but that would

likely delay the trial over a Galaxy tablet and other

smartphones. In her order on Monday, the judge said Apple would

have to request a new hearing date if it wanted to stop sales of

the Galaxy S III phone. That likely would not take place before

the phone’s scheduled launch. Apple has not said what its next

move will be.

Court-ordered mediation between the CEOs of Apple and

Samsung did not produce a settlement in the wide-ranging

litigation. Barring a last minute agreement, the trial is slated

for July 30.

Apple cannot afford to get bogged down in its global legal

campaign against Android, said Paul Berghoff, a Chicago-based

patent attorney with McDonnell Boehnen Hulbert & Berghoff who is

not involved in the litigation.

“If Apple’s goal still is the Steve Jobs holy war, then the

status quo is not in their benefit,” Berghoff said.

(Reporting By Dan Levine; Editing by Martha Graybow, Amy

Stevens and Phil Berlowitz)