
Authorities arrested New Chicago Police Chief Earl Mayo Friday in Clark County, Ohio in connection with an investigation in Lake County. He remained in jail Saturday with booking information listing him as “fugitive from justice.”
In an unusual move, the Lake County sheriff’s department assumed New Chicago police jurisdiction Friday in the one-square mile town located west of Lake Station and north of Hobart.
New Chicago Police operations commander Antoine Goffin said Saturday that Mayo, the son of Lake County Democratic sheriff nominee Indiana State Police Major Jerry Williams, had been placed on administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation.
Goffin said New Chicago police would resume policing jurisdiction at 4 p.m. Saturday.
“We don’t have any conclusive information about what the investigation has brought back,” said Goffin.
Once Mayo is returned to Lake County, Goffin said town manager Sue Pelfrey and town attorney Lloyd Mullins would determine Mayo’s status.
Lake County sheriff spokeswoman Pam Jones said Saturday she didn’t have information on the investigation. Sheriff Oscar Martinez couldn’t be reached for comment.
Williams issued a statement Saturday acknowledging his son’s arrest. He said authorities searched Mayo’s Merrillville home Friday.
“My wife and I and our family are deeply concerned over recent information regarding our son, Earl Mayo, chief of the New Chicago Police Department. We raised all of our children with love, guidance and a strong foundation of values. We’ve always held our children to higher standards, as we have ourselves.
“We have very little information about this incident at this time. We are aware there are allegations that are troubling, and we struggle to reconcile them with the values we worked so hard to instill in all of our children and grandchildren.
“Under our criminal justice system, Earl is presumed innocent unless and until proven otherwise. We respect that fundamental principle, and it is important that the legal process be allowed to proceed fairly and impartially.
“If it is ultimately established that Earl engaged in the conduct alleged by the government, then he must and should accept responsibility for his actions and face the consequences.
“This is an extremely difficult and emotional time for our family. Given the seriousness of this matter and the ongoing legal proceedings, we cannot comment any further on the undisclosed details of this situation.”
Carole Carlson is a freelance reporter for the Post-Tribune.





