Skip to content
Author
PUBLISHED: | UPDATED:
Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

BOSTON — The slumping Boston Red Sox have activated third baseman Kevin Youkilis from the disabled list, hoping he can help them hold onto a playoff spot in the final two weeks.

Youkilis was in the starting lineup Tuesday night against Toronto. He had been out since Aug. 18 with bursitis in his left hip and a sports hernia.

The Red Sox just finished a 1-6 road trip and began the day with a three-game lead over hard-charging Tampa Bay for the AL wild-card spot.

“I’m not concerned. We’re still ahead and it’s in our control,” Youkilis said.

Youkilis said he’d received an injection to help him deal with the hip and that he will have surgery to repair the hernia after the season.

“The bottom line for me is just going out and playing through it,” he said. “There are a lot of guys banged up … I’ll just go day to day and play it as I can tolerate it.”