Two teenagers have been charged with weapons offenses after a foot chase on Aurora’s East Side last Thursday that led to the recovery of three firearms, according to the Aurora Police Department.
Last week, Aurora police developed information regarding individuals allegedly displaying firearms in Aurora neighborhoods, a news release from the police department said. As the case went on, investigators identified Johnathan Rios, 18, of Aurora, and a 15-year-old juvenile as suspects, later observing them during surveillance operations on a home, police said.
At around 8:32 p.m. Thursday, May 14, investigators from the police department’s Special Operations Group attempted to make contact with the two teenagers near the intersection of North East Avenue and Fulton Street in Aurora, the department said in the news release.
Both teens then fled on foot after investigators identified themselves as police, and investigators observed during the pursuit “behavior consistent with both subjects being armed,” the release said.
The 15-year-old was apprehended after a brief foot chase, and investigators said they recovered a loaded silver and black Glock 43X 9mm handgun, which contained a loaded 10-round magazine, according to police.
Rios continued to run through nearby yards, police said, before being apprehended and taken into custody by investigators, according to police.
During the pursuit, the department said investigators saw Rios discard two firearms near a fence line, and officers ultimately recovered a black Glock 21 .45 caliber handgun loaded with 13 rounds and a black Glock 23 .40 caliber handgun equipped with a machine gun conversion device and loaded with a 29-round extended magazine containing three live rounds that had been reported stolen outside of Aurora, police said.
Investigators also recovered a box containing 50 rounds of .40 caliber ammunition from Rios, according to the release.
Neither individual had a valid Firearm Owner’s Identification, or FOID, card or concealed carry license, the police department said.
Following the pursuit, Rios was charged with aggravated unlawful use of a weapon; aggravated unlawful use of a weapon – machine gun; and aggravated unlawful use of a weapon – FOID not eligible, per the news release from the police department. The 15-year-old has been charged with aggravated unlawful use of a weapon and aggravated unlawful use of a weapon – FOID not eligible, according to police.
The investigation remains ongoing, the department said, with additional charges possible pending further forensic analysis and digital evidence review.



