Skip to content
This image released by CBS shows host Stephen Colbert on the set of “The Late Show with Stephen Colbert” in New York on May 18, 2026. (Scott Kowalchyk/CBS via AP)
This image released by CBS shows host Stephen Colbert on the set of “The Late Show with Stephen Colbert” in New York on May 18, 2026. (Scott Kowalchyk/CBS via AP)
PUBLISHED:
Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

Memorial Day weekend and the unofficial start to summer are finally here. With warmer temps forecasted and plenty to do in Chicago to celebrate the holiday, we hope you’ll make the most of the extended weekend. But before we skedaddle off to the parade, a patio or the beach, here’s the rundown on what you may have missed in the news this week.

In a surprise move, federal prosecutors dismissed all remaining charges in the “Broadview Six” case on Thursday, just days before a jury trial was set to begin. The U.S. attorney’s office is now accused of missteps and a potential cover-up, and the case’s former lead prosecutor has been terminated from her new role in Washington. In other immigration news, a federal grand jury indicted a young man for allegedly ramming federal agents last October, a CPS mom is asking the government to release her son from detention, and Ald. Jessie Fuentes is suing the federal government, alleging immigration agents threatened, assaulted and unlawfully detained her at a Chicago hospital last fall. Meanwhile, a Cook County judge on Thursday declined to appoint a special prosecutor to investigate alleged wrongdoing by federal agents during Operation Midway Blitz.

In Washington D.C., Senate Republicans recessed without voting on a bill to fund immigration enforcement agencies amid backlash over the new White House ballroom and the Trump administration’s creation of a $1.7 billion fund to compensate allies who believe they were unfairly prosecuted by the Justice Department during President Joe Biden’s tenure. The fund is part of a settlement agreement between President Donald Trump and the Internal Revenue Service, with the president abandoning his $10 billion lawsuit over the leak of his tax returns and the agency agreeing to permanently drop tax claims against him.

In other national and international news, Tulsi Gabbard resigned as director of national intelligence, saying the decision to leave Trump’s Cabinet was impacted by her husband’s recent cancer diagnosis, Secretary of State Marco Rubio said Friday that some progress had been made in ongoing peace negotiations with Iran, and Trump announced that the U.S. would send 5,000 troops to Poland after waffling on military support earlier in the week. Plus, an outbreak of Ebola is spreading. The World Health Organization declared the spread of the disease in Congo and Uganda a global health emergency and said the outbreak poses a “very high” risk at the national level.

The never-ending Bears stadium saga continued this week. On Monday, Gov. JB Pritzker said there’s “no plan” to keep the team in Chicago, while some Illinois lawmakers believe the team has expressed newfound interest in a lakefront stadium site. With just days left to pass legislation this spring and after speaking with NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, the governor maintained the team is only considering Arlington Heights or Indiana — not Chicago — but is “confident” about a deal to keep the Bears in Illinois.

The City Series concluded Sunday afternoon with the White Sox winning 2 of 3 to take the series from the Cubs. But what made headlines wasn’t Edgar Quero and his walk-off homer to win it in the 10th, but rather Cubs center fielder Pete Crow-Armstrong’s missed ball and the heated exchange with a Sox fan that followed. Crow-Armstrong apologized for his choice of words and was fined $5,000 by the MLB. Since then, the Cubs have entered a slump and the Sox lost their series against the Seattle Mariners.

After 33 years, “The Late Show” came to an end this week. The final episode aired Thursday night, with host Stephen Colbert accompanied by Paul McCartney as the show’s final guest.

And lastly, an important note for our loyal quotes readers: This is the final installment of the Tribune’s Quotes of the Week quiz. Starting next week, the quiz and weekly news digest will be no longer, as the quotes team test drives a new format. But don’t fret! Quotes of the Week will remain a part of your Saturdays, just in an abridged form. We appreciate your understanding, and thanks as always for reading!

Now let’s get into it. For one last time, here’s the Tribune’s Quotes of the Week quiz — with excerpts and utterances from May 17 to 23. Missed last week? You can find it here or check out our past editions of Quotes of the Week.

Done taking the quiz? Scroll up to view your results.